Pages

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Wiring the layout

I wanted to keep the wiring simple and always intended to use DCC. I had bought a Dynamis system and tried it out on a test track with a couple of loco's, however I had no idea if it would be able to power the whole of my new layout. Fortunately the power output is quiet good and it has no trouble running two King Arthur's flat out pulling seven coaches.

I decided the points would be operated conventionally as flicking between locos on the controller is OK but I felt the addition of route setting or point numbers was just going to be too slow. The cost was also prohibitive as although an accessory decoder will power four points, I was still going to need at least six units at around £30 a time.

Power is supplied through two umbilical cables running from the panel at the centre front to the back of the layout, one in each direction to reduce power fade and also carry the wiring for the points. All the connectors are the white chocolate block type with the big connecting pins, as I feel these are easy to wire and plug in. I had considered computer cables and connectors but the pins are small and the wires thin neither taking kindly to being dropped or trodden on. This also means faults are relatively easy to find and can be tracked down by plugging in one board at a time.


Next article, mocking up the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment